Kodiak Alaska Military History
Web Site Update Log
Be sure to check the GUEST BOOK for new entries.
Frequent minor additions and link corrections are not logged here.
- 2013 June 24
- Two new batches of 1955 USN CommSta photos from
- 2013 June 4
- Joe Hacker, NAS control tower 1958
- 2013 March 12
- Don Harms photo album
of Sitkinak Island Loran Station reorganized and added to main album index and
Sitkinak Island page.
- 2012 October 17
- New photos and obituary for
Butch Otto, Kodiak WWII vet.
- 2012 October 4
- New information about the Bill Beaty door episode
at the tracking station from Harry Birmingham.
- 2012 September 25
- New newspapers page
with good history from the last issue of KODIAK BEAR.
- 2012 July 26
- New page
Sanak Radio Station on Caton Island.
- 2012 June 27
- New album: Fredrick F. Davidson 1942-1945
- 2012 January 15
- New photos from Glen Finklea USMC 1965
- 2011 November 22
- New page on the Beachcomber ship, Princess Norah..
- 2011 April 10
- More pictures of 1955 era CommSta on the Rodger Schwind page.
- 2011 January 31
- New page for Chirikof Island and military
- 2010 April 12
- New photo album
Sgt. Joseph Steven Eorio, Battery D, 250th CA, 69 images
- 2009 September 7
- New photos of Captain George E. Bauch, supply officer, 215 CA AA
- 2009 September 6
- New pictures and text from
Danny Jackson, 1964 Holiday beach receiver site.
- 2009 March 19
- New information on a B-18A crash on Sharatine Mouintain
- 2009 March 13
- Over 50 new images of the Communications Station 1955 from Rodger Schwind.
- 2009 January 29
- Over 100 new pix of 1964 tsnaumi in Kodiak courtesy of Ben Guhrke.
Two new pix of 1912 Woody Island navy radio station.
- 2008 December 30
- 62 new pictures from the Submarine Base 1944 byRupert Von Fox
- 2008 May 21
- Added Michael Burwell report and picture of Phyllis S.
- 2008 February 16
- Added more images to the Jack Cook album.
Loran pictures added to Narrow Cape page.
- 2008 February 11
- More NOJ Commsta pictures from 1979-80 by Jack Cook.
- 2007 April 28
- New 2006 Crab Festival Parade images
featuring our museum vehicles including updated to the jeep page.
- 2007 March 12
- Added Annex C, Searchlights to
Harbor Defense page.
- 2007 March 10
- Added Annex B, Fire Control to
Harbor Defense page.
- 2007 March 8
- New photo album from Max Hellmueller, Navy Security Police 1967-68.
- 2007 February 28
- Added drawings 2b-3b, 5b-18b to Harbor Defense Annex.
- 2007 February 25
- New Seabees page from the 2-volume 1947 book set.
- 2007 February 13
- New USCGC Storis page and non-frames version.
- 2007 February 7
- New RADAR page with great new information.
- 2007 February 5
- More new photos of ACS station on Signal Hill
- 2007 February 4
- New high resolution image of BD-74 switchboards at the factory.
- 2007 February 2
- New high-resolution pictures of ACS station.
- 2006 December 3
- New crash site pictures of a probable C-47 near and west of
Anton Larsen Bay.
- 2006 November 18
Did 2 days of copying at the Anchorage NARA. This may take a while to present.
- 2006 September 25
- New tsunami and Kodiak Airways stories from Bob Leonard.
- 2006 September 19
- Still fixing many small problems and organizing things.
- 2006 September 1
- Site rebuilt on new server. Many minor problems fixed.
- 2006 June 23
- 1964 Naval Station Telephone Directory is online.
- 2006 April 21
- A few new Commsta pictures.
- 2006 April 18
- Three new Amchitka items.
- 2005 October 27
- New TIMELINE.
- 2005 October 12
- New page on vessel SANTIAGO
- Re-scanned portions of Naval Operating Base map.
- 2005 September 21
- New page
about the December 1942 sinking of the mail boat by a navy destroyer.
- 2005 May 27
- Revised Chiniak map.
- New Chiniak history.
- 2005 April 15
- 78 new White Alice images from Lynn Saupe.
- 2005 March 1
- Added memories of the Chiniak Tracking Station 1971-3 by
- 2004 December 17
- Moved historical telephone documents and
Joe's odd interests to this site.
- 2004 November 25
- Lots of small updates and additions including guestbook.
- 2004 September 18
- New page about Albert Knack, Fleet Air Wing 4. Koga's Zero.
- 2004 September 5
- New stuff from Bill Carlson of the 215th CA (AA)
- New group of aerial photos of Alaska airports WWII
- New maps of Coast Defenses retouched
- 2004 August 13
- 26 new FAW4 images Fleet Air Wing FOUR
- 2003 December 15
- Seven more images
from Holiday Beach NavComSta from Tom Lawson.
- 2003 November 29
- New photo album from Harry Lomas,
AFRTS & Navy Base 1967.
More Chiniak Tracking Station images.
More Fleet Air Wing FOUR images.
- 2003 October 4
- Repaired dozens of broken links. Restored search engine to operation.
Many small additions throughout site.
- 2003 June 12
- New page of structures within the airport perimeter.
- 2003 June 1
- Roger Keltgen collection 215 CA (AA).
Alaska Communication System Kodiak 1945 history.
- 2003 May 13
- New artillery photos from George Reynolds.
- 2003 May 9
- More Army diesel power plant photos.
- 2003 February 18
- Several more photos and information on Sitkinak from 1974.
- 2002 November 30
- New list of base structures 1965 with maps.
- 2002 November 11
- Completed 1965 list of base structures
- 2002 November 3
- Panoramic photos of several post war units
- 2002 October 22
- 1924 life at Woody Island Naval Radio
- 2002 September 23
- Updated Kodiak aircraft crash listings
- 2002 June 15
- Gopher Band Ft. Greely 1942
- 2002 June 13
- New 215th CA AA page.
- 2002 June 9
- Fleet Air Wing FOUR album initial presentation of 400 images
- 2002 May 21
- FTP access is now restricted. Just uploaded many updates from past months.
- 2002 March 14
New page of photos from Judie Freeman who's
father, Jules Radinsky, managed the Civil Service
Club on the base from 1949 to 1953 and the Enlisted Men's
Club from 1956 to 1959.
- 2002 March 12
- More information added on
Swampy Acres army diesel power plant.
- 2002 February 26
- New page on statewide AC&W sites
from info dated 9/1/55. New unit insignia from
The guest book is up to 146 messages.
New ALASKAN OPERATIONS BULLETIN #17
- 2001 December 27
- Five new photos of Navy Base control tower from 1961 added to
top of navy base page.
- 2001 December 23
- New page for the star on Old Womens Mt.
- 2001 December 11
- Current photos of
Sitkinak Coast Guard Loran Station and maps added.
- 2001 November 7
- More on US Marines.
- 2001 October 27
- New history of Kodiak naval sector, 1947.
Now 318 photos in the FAW4 section.
- 2001 August 28
- Added over 80 more photos to the
FAW4 page including some of Attu.
Two more Naturalist Articles.
Fixed link from UNITS page to
VS-70 page and added illustrations to VS-70 page.
- 2001 August 26
- New Patches page
- 2001 August 23
- New 155mm gun information.
New 30th Field Artillery history.
- 2001 August 20
Seven aerial photos of Navy base from 1950 from Daniel Jessup.
Six new Naturalist columns from Dave Evans.
Update on Chiniak USCG WWII DF station
with three new photos of the radio equipment.
- 2001 July 31
- New Naturalist column archive from Dave Evans.
- 2001 July 28
- New WWII photos of Long Island.
New CD-ROM availability.
New CommSta page.
New Kadiak Island overview.
- 2001 July 5
article from Kodiak Bear on armed forces radio in Kodiak, July 22, 1942.
- 2001 July 4
New Collings Foundation Bombers page.
Their B-17 and B-24 and Bob Collings visited Kodiak 2001 July 1-3.
Revised aircraft presentation on main index
and new links on the aircraft page.
- 2001 June 28
- Several new topo maps on Maps Page
including Afognak Lake and the 1949 Navy Base area.
- 2001 June 18
- New Aleutians page with Attu pictures
and aircraft page.
- 2001 May 18
- New aircraft crash page
with recent photos of 1963 P2V crash site and a list of other crashes.
- 2001 May 11
- New Cape Greville page.
- 2001 May 5
- 32 new modern photos of four sites in
- 2001 April 26
- Moved USCG page
- 2001 April 19
- Thumbnails and medium format images added to Elmer Aemmer photo album
- 2001 April 17
- Added 7 new pictures to Swampy Acres page.
- 2001 April 9
- Finished NAS history.
Minor corrections to Midway Point page and
KL7AF version of the Chiniak Tracking Station story.
- 2001 March 20
- Major additional text (not finished yet) to the
New section to the UNITS page for
NAS Commanding officers including a page for
- 2001 March 1
- Six new high resolution aerial views of the base
and 30 pictures of the Army Dock from William Julian.
- 2001 February 24
- more pictures of Spruce Cape from 1981
- 2001 January 3
- New US Army Transport St. Mihiel page.
- 2001 January 2
- Added 17
new pictures of the Kodiak museum.
- 2000 December 29
Bob Siptrott Chiniak Tracking Station pages.
New index section for photo albums with two new album sections:
- 2000 December 8
- We discovered that
Armed Forces Radio and TV was in building S-25 on
Nyman Penninsula during the late Navy era.
- 2000 November 30
interview with Roma O. Saltzgiver, Battalion Radar Officer, 250th
Coast Artillery, Kodiak WWII. Added Searchlight 2 to the
Narrow Cape page.
- 2000 November 5
Narrow Cape page showing WWII remains of the Harbor Defenses of Kodiak.
- 2000 October 10
- Added circa 1952 air navigation
map of Kodiak Island with radio navigation frequencies
to the maps page. New
Submarine Cable page.
- 2000 October 5
- Added pictures of original armed forces radio, KODK to the
- 2000 September 22
- Added segments of a map of the Naval base circa WWII to the
Added a drawing of the SCR-296 radar tower to the
Chiniak Round Top page.
Added EE91 phone to museum electronics page.
- 2000 September 13
- Two photo albums added. Gresham Pace, 151st Engineers.
and Elmer Aemmer, Woody Is. Net Depot.
Total of 21,836,211 bytes of images added.
Site now contains approximately 168,359,823 bytes.
- 2000 September 3
- Three map portions added to Woody Island page
showing 1913 Naval Wireless station and 1944 Magnetic Loop and Net station.
Also added images of an FAA history article courtesy of Russ Clentimack.
Total of 3.49 Mb of images added.
- 2000 August 22
- Started adding JPEG maps to the Harbor Defense Annex page.
- 2000 August 7
- Added 17 photos to WACS page courtesy of
Sven Engblom. Added photos of a gun mount at
- 2000 August 1
- Added 245 miscellaneous
- 2000 July 2
History of Naval Air Station, Kodiak, Alaska, 31 December 1944.
- 2000 June 21
History of Naval Air Station, Kodiak, Alaska, 31 December 1944.
- 2000 June 7
- New Afognak Island
page with 9 pictures of the military sawmill.
More patches added to the UNITS page.
More old Kodiak city views on
City history page which was moved to kadiak.org server.
- 2000 May 24
- More links to Corona satellite on
Tracking station page.
Added link to
Military History Timeline from Canadian Forces College to the
- 2000 May 18
- Started entering entire text of
Annexes to Harbor Defenses of Kodiak 1944.
- 2000 May 3
- New Artillery Hill photos of
Harbor Defense Command Post.
- 2000 May 2
- Added several new items to the
museum radios page.
- 2000 May 1
- Revised Norman Glover interview and made corrections to
Spruce Cape page.
Added link for Air Force Academy's 19th Military
History Symposium to main page.
- 2000 April 30
- New Quonset Hut page.
New seperate site search page.
- 2000 April 15
- Extensive additions to Spruce Cape page.
More pictures on Abercrombie page.
- 2000 April 12
- More links with seperate Aleutians section. Many minor bits of
- 2000 March 18
- Added similar view to the 1941 one on the Swampy Acres page.
Added search engine to main index page.
Added Deer Point, Long Island page.
Added S/L 21 at Piedmont Point to Ft. Abercrombie page
and updated some text on that page.
- 2000 March 16
- New page for Midway Point, Chiniak searchlight station.
New page for the document Harbor Defenses of Kodiak 1944.
- 2000 February 21
- New page of photos from Don Warner.
- 2000 February 18
- New Museum Radios and Electronics collection page.
- 2000 February 16
- New Spruce Cape page with
interview with Norman Glover, the engineer
who built the loran station in 1951.
- 2000 March 11
- New page for U S MARINES
- 2000 January 22
- Extensive reorganization of links page with a few new ones.
- 1999 December 29
NOAA photo archive search to links.
- 1999 December 28
- Added a good link on the LINKS page to the
harbor defenses of Portsmouth Maine that shows many
good pictures of things like those in Kodiak.
Updated a few remarks on the same LINKS page
about progress at Ft. Abercrombie. Added a link to a wonderful
of a surveyor who worked here in 1919 and 1920.
- 1999 December 6
CONSOLIDATED SUMMARY OF MAJOR ITEMS OF EQUIPMENT
and subdivided headings to include HARBOR DEFENSES OF KODIAK 1 NOVEMBER 1944
on the main index. Added description of a magnetic loop to the
Woody Island Page and corrected a minor html error.
- 1999 November 20
- Added link to
43rd CB home page on the units page.
- 1999 October 11
- Added organizational chart of harbor defenses.
Corrected minor html error in guestbook.
- 1999 October 2
- Added SuperDARN page
Added heating system progress photos to
- 1999 September 23
Bomb salvage from "Iron Bottom Beach" page with 11 photos.
- 1999 September 19
- Added photos to Flying Units page.
- 1999 September 11
- Added photo of USFS Eider to SHIPS page.
- 1999 September 9
- Added photos to
Flying Units page and VS70 page.
- 1999 September 4
- Added story
Nine Months with Captain Bob by Fred Tuxworth, VS-70
- 1999 August 29
- Added VS-48 web page
- 1999 August 28
- Added Naval Flying Units index and 13 text files
- 1999 August 23
- Added 10 modern pictures (30 jpg files) of the USCG base taken from
Old Women's Mt. to the USCG page.
- 1999 August 19
- Added six photos of searchlights to
Bald Hill page courtesy of Walter Dangel.
Thumbnailed other photos on the same page.
- 1999 August 8
- Added photos of ships SS Tanana, SS Mary D, SS Cordova to
- 1999 August 6
- Added 8 photos from Walt Dangel to directory dangel.
Added four of the Dangel photos to the Bald Hill page.
- 1999 August 5
- Added close-up scans
nas7a.jpg showing SS Tanana,
nas22a.jpg showing SS Mary D and SS Cordova
construction photos page.
- 1999 August 3
- Added two views from the control tower to the
USCG base page.
- 1999 August 1
- Added 90 WW II Army images from Underwood album and
- 1999 July 26
- Changed link on
White Alice page
to Bill Everly's www.whitealice.com
- 1999 July 18
- Added a link to Hawaii history and changed the name of the
shipwreck on the beach at the VFW from SAN DIEGO to SANTIAGO
on the SHIPS page.
- 1999 July 17
- Correctons to links on Long Island page.
- Added existing Long Island map to
maps page. (was already on the main
Long Island page)
- Minor corrections and map added to
Bald Hill page
and Isador Island page
- 1999 July 16
- Added photos,
Museum page and
Panama Gun Mount page
- 1999 July 14
- Added 8 photos and
Bald Hill page and
Isador Island page
to chiniak directory.
Site now contains 1147 files, 56 of them html, 32,413,310 bytes.
- 1999 July 13
- begin web site update log.
- Changed all .htm extensions to .html due to problem
with Linux server and some versions of Netscape.
- Added photos of
Quality Asphalt Paving progress and new view of base end station,
Gibson Cove/Deadman's Curve page.
- qap99a.jpg and